Monday, February 21, 2011

Charleston Suggestions


We have been asked countless times for recommendations in Charleston. Granted, neither of us live there (although Todd used to live there) but we have both been there more times than we could ever count so I'd say we've got a pretty good handle on the to-do's and must-see's of the best city in America. If you've got a favorite in Charleston that we didn't mention here, please leave us a comment! We would love to keep them all together to help anyone who might be planning a trip.

*Note: Almost everything we suggest is located right downtown (which is where you want to be) unless otherwise noted (like the plantations). The marker on the map is historic downtown.


Where to stay:
Charleston Place: If you want to go all out on your trip to Charleston, there is no better hotel than Charleston place. It is in the middle of historic downtown which allows you to park your car when you arrive and not need it again until you leave- you can walk absolutely everywhere from this hotel and that in itself makes it worth the price. Their Palmetto Cafe restaurant (located in the lobby) is open for breakfast. They have french press coffee, a great buffet, and a full menu. I like the convenience of having a place to get breakfast right in my hotel before I leave for the day. I suggest you get a table in the courtyard if the weather is nice. Charleston Place also has several nice stores connected too.

Courtyard by Marriott I am fairly certain this used to be a Holiday Inn...at least it was the few times that I have stayed there. I am not high maintenance when it comes to hotels. As long as it's clean and they don't rent rooms by the hour, I'm usually okay with it. I would rather eat at a good restaurant or take more tours than stay in the best hotel in town. It is more affordable than Charleston Place however, it's a few blocks away from the heart of the historic district. There are several pay-by-the-hour parking lots downtown so it's fairly easy to just get yourself a little closer by car in order to walk around for the day. It is very nice and you'd probably even forget you were staying at a Holiday Inn (which I guess is why it's a Courtyard now).

Hampton Inn Historic District Disclaimer here: I have never personally stayed at this hotel but I have several friends who have and they highly recommend it. It is a little closer to the center of downtown than the Holiday Inn/Marriott but still affordable and nice.

Regardless of the number of people going, Todd's suggests you look on VRBO which will likely be less expensive and much nicer than renting a hotel room. There are places listed downtown, at the beach and even outside of town -- there's something for any preference.
And if you want a true resort, it doesn't get much better than The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island. It's pricey but you definitely get what you pay for (I have only stayed there once). It's about a 30 minute or so drive to downtown Charleston but it's right on the beach.

There are countless charming inns downtown and I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them. I haven't personally stayed at any of them. In my opinion, you don't go on vacation to stay in your hotel room so why not pick somewhere affordable and spend the money you save on additional tours and fried chicken!

Where to eat good southern food:
Magnolia's Start with the arugula, pear and goat cheese salad (it's comes with a whole sugared pear!) and have the fried chicken as your main course. It comes with mashed potatoes, creamed corn, and collards on the side. It is probably one of my all-time favorite meals. You should make a reservation because they get busy fast and you'll be waiting for a table all night. They are also open for brunch on Sunday if you don't make it in for dinner. (Magnolia's sister restaurant Blossom is also good but I cannot recommend Cypress.)

Jestine's Kitchen This is your classic, casual, down home cookin'. And they bring you housemade pickles to start with! People start lining up outside before they even open so get there early.

The Wreck at Shem Creek Another disclaimer: I have never been to The Wreck but I have heard countless great things about it. It's a little off the beaten path and not downtown but is rumored to be well worth the trek over the bridge to Mount Pleasant.

Poogan's Porch and Acme Cantina are two of Todd's favorite brunch spots.

Southend Brewery If you like microbreweries, Todd is a fan of Southend. The building is beautiful and they were rated #1 microbrewery in the south.

Hominy Grill Another good southern restaurant that you'd expect to find in Charleston. It's very quaint and a little more casual than something in the heart of downtown. But they bring you boiled peanuts when you're seated and you can't beat that!

Fleet Landing is a neat little seafood restaurant on the harbor. It's an old retired Navy building and the only place downtown on the water.
Other seafood options: Hyman's Seafood and Red's and Seewee(worth the drive out).

Boulevard (in Mt. Pleasant) This is one of Todd's favorites. I haven't ever been there but now that I look at the menu, I'm intrigued! And affordable to boot!

I know a lot of people also suggest Poe's Tavern for a sandwich/burger place out on Sullivan's Island.

Other local favorites:
Andolini's Pizza
Charleston Crab House (the James Island location was on Flip this House)
Fiery Ron's Home Team BBQ

Plantations:
Middleton Place: The gardens and grounds at Middleton place are beautiful. You can also take a carriage ride around the rice fields. While I think the Middleton place grounds are the prettiest of all of the plantations, the house (which isn't the original) isn't as impressive as the others. If you're lucky, there will be little lambs running around the grounds.

Boone Hall This is probably the most popular plantation. It was the summer house in The Notebook and is the typical big white columns plantation home that you'd expect.

Other plantations: Drayton Hall and Magnolia Plantation

Nightlife:
Rooftop at Market Pavilion If even for one glass of wine, it's worth it.
Rooftop at Vendue Inn (has a beautiful harbor view!)
Mad River If you want to dance, this bar is a lot of fun. It reminds me of a bar in a college town (in the south).
Market Street Saloon
Tommy Condon's
Gene's Haufbrau
Social
The Windjammer
Honestly, the nightlife options are endless. If you walk up and down Market, King, Church, or East Bay you will find a ton of bars. You won't find any clubs so leave your sequins and glitter at home.


Must do:
-Carriage tour through the Battery (There are several different tours and they all originate in the same area downtown- just walk up and get on. You can also book a tour through your hotel and they'll pick you up right out front.) If you're interested in the history of Charleston, you really should take a tour. There are also walking tours. I wouldn't suggest this if you're going in July because you might die of heat stroke. Tours by boat are also available.
-Go to the Market on Market Street and see the women weaving sweetgrass baskets.
-Shopping on King Street. (If you like cooking, you must stop by Charleston Cooks store. I only wish I lived in town so I could take one of their classes!)
-Walk along East Battery and Murray Streets. There is a raised walk with the harbor one side and the most beautiful homes you'll ever see on the other. No better place to take pictures!
-If you're interested in Civil War history, you might want to tour the Hunley Submarine. It sank in 1864 and was raised out of Charleston Harbor in 2000.
-There are countless golf courses around Charleston. The Ocean Course at Kiawah is currently ranked as one of the top 25 in the country by Golf Digest (but it's a bit pricey).

As far as beaches go, I live in Florida a mere 10 minutes from the beach so the last thing I want to do on vacation is go to the beach. I've always heard good things about Folly Beach and Sullivan's Island which are both just a short drive from Charleston. Charleston aquarium is another option. This falls in the "I live in Florida" category so I haven't personally been but if you had kids, they might enjoy this.

A few tips:
-As far as weather goes, June-August are brutally hot and humid. You spend 90% of your time outside walking around so it can be a bit much if you aren't used to the heat. March-early June are ideal. Warm days and nice cool nights (and all of the flowers are blooming which is a bonus). Fall is also pretty but beware of hurricane season.
-Downtown Charleston is not a beach town so don't go to dinner in your bathing suit cover up. Most people dress nice for dinner downtown and by nature, women in Charleston always dress nice.
-Ask your hotel for a map of downtown. It'll help when you're out walking around.
-Grab a copy of the Charleston City Paper to find out what is going on while you are there. Chances are you will have a change of plans after reading it.
-It would also be a good idea to sign up for Groupon emails for Charleston a little while before your trip. They recently had a Groupon for the carriage rides. You could get a good deal on tours or restaurants.

27 comments:

  1. Oh, this makes me long for the South and want to return to Charleston! We honeymooned there and it's one of my favorites.
    We stayed at Mills House on our honeymoon and couldn't have been happier, and we stayed at the Vendue Suites (B&B) on a return and it was great.
    The Charleston Grill is fabulous. We enjoyed our meal at SNOB, too.
    In addition to Plantations, we enjoyed a house tour as well. We visited the Nathaniel Russell house and truly enjoyed it. You get the same sorts of trivia that you get on a carriage ride.
    Thanks for this post! It's snowing outside (again) and I needed a reminder this warm and friendly city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a new restaurant opened recently called HUSK- you must try this! it is right beside poogans porch. we also like to go to social wine and tapas bar on east bay...so yummy! and another great and affordable spot is sermets on king street. also, hometeam bbq on sullivans is so good! it is right across the street from poe's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reds in Mt. Pleasant is a must to eat! They have the best fried shrimp and the drinks are amazing. I saw you mentioned Jestine's. That is one of my favorite places anywhere. The cornbread with butter and honey is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian and I visited Charleston for the first time this last summer and we fell in love with the city's charm. We were thankful for all of Todd's suggestions before we went on our trip. We used VRBO and found a studio apartment with a rooftop deck off of Broad Street. It was wonderful!

    For Breakfast one day we went to Joseph's on Meeting Street. They have sweet potato pancakes with a toasted pecan butter that is delicious.

    For Lunch we took Todd's suggestion to try Andolini's Pizza. It is definitely a whole in the wall but the pizza was fantastic. We went to the original location off of Wentworth Street.

    My last food suggestion is that at Middleton Place their is a restuarant and the food is AMAZING! Their She crab soup is divinity. For entrees I had the shrimp and grits and Brian had the duck breast. I dont think that you could go wrong with anything on thier menu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly recommend staying at the Double Tree just across from the Market downtown. It is where we have stayed since I was little and we always have great service & the price has always been affordable. I will say it isn't the most luxurious hotel, but the rooms are nice & clean and the location is perfect.

    If anyone ventures to Isle of Palms: Huck's Lowcountry Table for dinner and Sea Biscuit Cafe for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! As a native South Carolinian who absolutely adores Charleston, I think you've covered it well.
    And The Wreck is WELL WORTH the trek. They don't have freezers so everything is guaranteed, straight off the boat fresh! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Charleston!! Our honeymoon was spent in Charleston and at The Sanctuary. Loved every minute of it! Poogan's Porch and Fleet Landing are great. I also recommend taking a walking ghost tour. We learned that at Poogan's Porch you may just feel Poogan brush up against you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you SOOOO much for doing this post! As I mentioned on twitter a month ago, my husband and I are planning on going to Charleston to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Your list breaks down everything so PERFECTLY!

    I can't wait to check out some of these places =) Maybe I'll convince my husband to make two trips to Charleston--since there's so much to see and do!

    Thanks again! LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a former CofC student and SC native, I love Charleston! I have stayed at the Hampton Inn Historic District numerous times and it is a fantastic hotel close to many things (including a cute little jewelry store right on John St!). Another luxury hotel to look at is Restoration on King.--Gorgeous!

    You must try McCrady's the next time you are in town. The food is fantastic and the history of the building is interesting. The service there is always world class!

    If you head over the bridge towards Sullivan's Island I highly recommend Boulevard Diner and Poe's (which is on Sullivan's)--both have had more than their share of celebrity sightings. And Poe's has the best burgers and fries! A great place to grab lunch after coming off the beach. Boulevard Diner has fantastic breakfast and to die for desserts. But of course, if you are talking desserts...nothing in Charleston beats the coconut cake at Peninsula Grill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just went to charleston for the weekend!! Great tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dad is from Charleston so we've spent a lot of time there over the years. I also wrote my Master's thesis about the Charleston art market- another excuse to spend time in such a beautiful place. :)

    We usually stay at the Hampton Inn on John Street (the one in the Historic District). It's very nice and very convenient! We also stay at the Mills House during the holidays, which is absolutely lovely inside. Very luxurious, and a great location at King & Queen Streets. My aunt and uncle always stay at the Vendue Suites, right across from the Vendue Inn and next to Waterfront Park. That's a great option if you want a little more space.

    Food:
    ~82 Queen is a great place for lunch. Its tucked away in a charming old house and when the weather is nice they have outside seating in a cozy garden.
    ~Sermet's Corner on King Street. The food is always phenomenal. Great for a nice lunch or casual dinner.
    ~Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B.) An old Charleston institution on East Bay.
    ~Carolina's - classic Southern upscale dining
    ~Cypress- the sister restaurant of Magnolia's
    ~McCrady's on East Bay- this could also go under the nightlife category b/c they have an amazing bar area. Old, wood paneling. It feels very luxe and cozy.

    Head to the Blind Tiger on Broad Street at night if you want to feel like you're back at a Southern frat party. My nights usually end there. :)

    I could go on and on, but I love everywhere you suggested! It's hard to have a bad time there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a Charleston Gal just living a few hours too far inland in ATL for now... can't wait to be back in the Lowcountry again. Your post is great. The Rooftop at Vendue is the place for sunset drinks in the warm weather. I agree with several of your restaurant suggestions- Seewee, The Wreck, etc. But you have missed one of the best kept secrets in Chas... you almost need to know a local to get the tip!! Joseph's on Meeting Street is open for breakfast and lunch and packed with locals, lucky tourists who happen in and a brisk carryout business as well. The Sunday Brunch is delish with a live trio playing and a reservation is a good idea. The Oyster Po'boy is amazing, the crab cakes with a wonderful remoulade are a favorite but we always email ahead and request the Creamy Tomato soup with CRAB!!! Best I've ever had anywhere on the coast. The space is quirky but cheerful and Chef Joseph is talented and fun and his adorable Mom, Donna, runs the front. How fun is that!? ( I am not related or getting a kick back!! it's just that good!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I work for a nanny agency in Charleston, Sweet Peas Nannies and Babysitting Agency. I stayed in the Francis Marion Hotel and it is very nice. I would highly recommend it. There is a Starbucks downstairs and it is on the corner of King and Calhoun. It is also across the street from Marion Square.

    If you have kids, our agency has information at the Concierge desk of each hotel downtown. Another great place to take kids is the Lowcountry Children's Museum. It is on Ann St right off of King St.

    Your post was full of such great information!!

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love my city (Charleston)and Southend Brewery is wonderful!! Also, S.N.O.B is amazing! Best food ever, my family loves that place years ago its where I had my first creme' brule there and will never go to any other place! And you can't forget the shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We stayed at the Mills House for our anniversary and really enjoyed it. For dinner, Peninsula Grill is a must! Expensive, but 100% worth it. As far as things to do, don't go to Charleston without going to Theatre 99 to see The Have Nots. It's a cheap improv show that will have you cracking up. You can even buy a bottle of wine to take to your seats.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post on Charleston! I grew up in Charleston so it has a special place in my heart. One place that I always loved & it is great to see as an adult or taking the kids is Charlestowne Landing. I visited it pre Hugo & post Hugo so it changed a lot. I know they have fixed it up within the last couple of years so I am excited to see how it looks. Great walking/biking trails. This is also where the governor stays when he comes to Charleston. Beautiful scenery & it is also educational.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed this post - thank you! And I see you are coming to DC soon for the Cherry Blossom Festival. I am an area native and would be happy to make recommendations (although I'm sure you have done your homework based on all I've seen on this blog!) Please feel free to email me. amyc.obrien@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. We were just in Charleston this past weekend - if only I saw your post before our trip! S.N.O.B. was good (pork chop was one of the best I've eaten) and I also recommend checking out Husk - we went there for lunch, and they have a fun cocktail menu (try the spicy bloody mary) and good food. My husband enjoyed the raw oysters a couple times at Amen Street Fish and Raw Bar, so if you like that type of food definitely have raw oysters for your pre-dinner snack!

    We stayed at the Harborview Inn which unfortunately I cannot recommend at all - the location is great and the hotel itself was fine (nothing special but it was somewhere to sleep), but the service was terrible (ie extremely slow valet people to take your car, no one to carry your bags up to the top floor since the elevator was out, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I second the votes for non-downtown restaurants SeeWee and The Wreck. SeeWee is a ways down the road on 17, but they have a great menu, great food and great prices! I have been to the Wreck on nights where they sold out of half the menu so don't go too late on a weekend. Again, it's a hole in the wall, but soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was SO informational!! Thank you! I will be back to to re-read many times before our trip!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I took a trip to Charleston last May and i'm in LOVE with this city! I recommend the Andrew Pinckney Inn..it's located in the historic district and is pretty affordable and the staff were very friendly and helpful! There's also a great view from the breakfast patio! Right down the street is Cru cafe..which has a nice patio and the food was good too! I definitely recommend touring the CofC campus! Folly beach is also really close and there's some great restaurants closeby! I also recommend buying some benne wafers to snack on during a walk in the market! These are just some of my favorite things I did during my vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello this is kinda of off topic but I was wondering if blogs
    use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with
    HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    my webpage adjustable bed 92662

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll right away clutch your rss feed as I can't to find your e-mail
    subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any?

    Kindly let me realize in order that I may just subscribe.
    Thanks.

    Here is my web-site; http://viavio.net/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there friends, good post and fastidious arguments commented at this place, I am genuinely enjoying by these.


    my blog post :: http://verticaljump.einfohound.com/free-vertical-jump-info/how-to-dunk-a-basketball

    ReplyDelete