Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Toomer's Corner


A few of you probably know that I went to Auburn and if you follow my twitter, you probably got tired of seeing my tweets this afternoon about the Toomer's Oaks being poisoned. Hopefully, I didn't lose any followers but I can't apologize for my overtweeting...

Some people responded and asked why I was upset and what the big deal was. Most people in the South know that we roll Toomer's with toilet paper after a win but not many people know why or why this is important to us.



There are a number of explanations for this tradition out there but the most plausible and the one I choose to accept is this one:

Before cell phones and before people had landlines, word of college football results would travel via telegraph. The only telegraph in Auburn was located on the corner of College St and Magnolia Ave at the local drug store - Toomer's Drugs. To notify the town of the win, the telegraph operator would run out and toss rolls of telegraph paper into the trees. Sometime in the 50's the tradition grew a little bigger and has continued to grow every year. The trees see action every time something great happens in Auburn, everything from a gymnastics win to graduation. The trees have grown to be as much of a part of Auburn as the colors orange and blue, War Eagle and every member of the Auburn Family.


When I saw the first tweet concerning the trees today, my heart sank and tears started to well up. I questioned the emotions that I had concerning trees but then I started to realize just how much these trees meant to me and every other Auburn man and woman.

The only member of my family that cared about college football was my grandfather and he was an Alabama fan. It was pretty much a given that you inherited your team preference and by default the rest of my family were Alabama fans as well, though no one really cared. There is a can of "Roll Tide Red" and a Coke bottle commemorating Bear Bryant's 315 wins at my parents house.

There wasn't much commotion when I crossed over and became an Auburn fan in third grade because I had a crush on a girl. No one really thought it would matter in the long run but as I grew to understand things, I began to recruit the rest of my family. Eventually, everyone was turned with the exception of my grandfather who remained an Alabama fan in "the only game that mattered".

I made a few visits to campus in high school with the assumption that I would end up there but I never really understood things until I attended my a game as a senior in high school. Auburn had invited me up to "War Eagle Day" and given my parents and I free tickets to our first Auburn game. My eyes were opened as I watched a mediocre team that would end up 8-4 beat Western Michigan in the middle of all the fans. We moved on to Toomer's Corner where I threw my first roll of paper and I got a game day t-shirt from Tiger Rags.


When I was accepted and started taking classes, we were we on the downward slope toward the end of Terry Bowden's career as coach. We began to relish every opportunity we had to go to Toomer's with seasons that ended as 3-8 and 5-6. But things turned around and we started to improve, even ending up as SEC [and National] Champions in 2004.

The crazy thing is that the trees on that corner weren't supposed to be there. Someone had planted two live oaks that shouldn't be able to live, much-less thrive in Auburn, AL. They would do great in sandy coastal soil but in the rocky Lee County clay, the trees didn't stand a chance.

For a 130 years, the trees have grown and stood strong to countless events that would have damaged or killed an ordinary tree. They've been hit by cars, set on fire [twice] and been hosed down on a regular occasion to remove the remnants of the most recent celebration.

I have my favorite memories of the Toomer's oaks but I won't bore you by telling you about Toomer's 2000, going to Toomer's after the first loss to Alabama in Auburn, the entire 2004 season or Nicole's first roll that she threw as part of the Auburn Family.

These trees aren't something that can be replaced once they are gone. There will never be another tree that has the same branches or grows with the slight twist that the one on the left had and the lean the one on the right had. My kids won't be able to throw their first roll into the same tree that Nicole and I did. And that's what makes me sad.


Through everything, the constant reminder that we'd come back and that the Auburn Spirit wouldn't fade were the two trees at the corner of Magnolia and College. In victory, the reminder that we had it in us all along were the two trees at the corner of Magnolia and College. They were the ever present reminder that we had stood the test of time and we had it in us to persevere. The Spirit will live on, even though our trees may die and even though it won't be the same tree, my kids will hear the story of the old trees when they toss their first roll into the new trees.

Every school has its traditions and I'm glad you stuck it out to the end of this post. I'd love to hear about your traditions and maybe be able to experience them myself. What I've learned singing "The Boys of Old Florida" with my arm around a stranger, seeing the Cockabooses and the Volunteer Navy is that we aren't alone. Every school has its traditions and we have to work to keep things in perspective when we live in the South.

Pick up a copy of my buddy Chad Gibb's book, if you haven't already. I'm sure you'll be able to relate and take something great away.

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to write out such a lovely tribute to Toomer's Corner. As a Gator fan myself I didn't really have any idea what it is but I believe in respecting each other's traditions in the SEC. It sounds like you have some beautiful memories of a great tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this!!! You're right- it's not so much about the tree as it is what the tree represents. Beautifully worded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Parting of College" is forever etched in my mind. I'm pretty sure I took that picture too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this! As a fellow alum, my heart is breaking at this tragedy. I cherished my years at Auburn, and Toomer's corner will always be special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a member of the Bulldawg nation I truly understand your heartache of the loss of these beautiful trees. I feel the same way when someone destroys our hedges. Here's to happier days and the sweet memories that will forever remain in your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I'm sad today. I've still not been able to see Toomer's on game day. :( I love the SEC, college football and tradition. The thought of a school losing what is quite possibly their best tradition makes me hang my head in sadness. All I can say is shame on that man.

    PS-Bought that book for Mr. D (BoomPat) for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this almost brought a tear to my eye. Being a GA fan, we are drenched in traditions from the past. I do not know what I would do if someone took those away from me and my young family. Again, I am sorry that someone was so ignorant and rude. Pearl061609

    ReplyDelete
  8. While it's obviously not the same, I am guessing that I can relate to this post and your feelings about the trees better than any other alumni of any other University in the country.

    I will never ever forget how it felt to watch Chief Illiniwek dance for the very last time, at halftime of the very last home game of my Senior year at Illinois.

    Four years later I still tear up when I watch the video... And at halftime of every football and basketball game when the band starts playing the three-in-one, something is always missing.

    While I'm glad I got to see him, it makes me really sad that I'll likely never see the Chief again. That my school doesn't even have a mascot.
    Obviously we didn't lose the Chief at the hands of a crazy lunatic (although I suppose if you're being honest you could make the argument that we did, since the NCAA is made up largely of loons), but it's still a loss.

    And consider this - you're gonna get mad all over again. Every time you see footage on ESPN of some other school doing their traditional victory celebration, you're gonna get pissed off all over again. Every time I see a freaking Florida State game on TV it hurts all over again. And I get mad, because it isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. This post just broke my heart.

    Every year when football season rolls around, I break out my red and black clothes and my tailgating gear. I get chills when I hear "Glory, glory to 'Ol Georgia", my throat tightens when Uga (whatever number it is that year) struts onto the field, and I party my mind out in downtown Athens after a win (or I did pre-babe, whatever). Truth is, I'm not an Auburn fan by any means, but I respect every other teams traditions. It would kill me if something happened to my "hedges" or my Arch. I can't imagine the loss the AU family is feeling.

    Just know this; I've seen the tenacity of you Auburn fans and this won't bring y'all down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is heartbreaking. I'm a UCLA Bruin but this story has been haunting me all day. To attack trees. To destroy something so meaningful and irreplaceable and joyful for all those generations of Auburn families. EVERY college football fan loses something when a great tradition like that is destroyed. I'm really hoping for a miracle.

    Thank you for sharing your stories of Toomer's corners.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's funny how life works. Two weeks ago I had never heard of Toomer's Corner and now I feel personally involved in this story. My daughter is a senior in high school and has been accepted at Auburn. I'm a South Carolina grad and she's been accepted there too but she's not interested in going to USC. I'm OK with that because it's about her future and not my past. Last weekend we toured the Auburn campus and I was impressed with the AU traditions. She had three tall cups of Toomer's lemonade in two days and she's pretty sure she wants to go to school there so I'm feeling a profound sense of loss that she may not have the opportunity to share in the same tradition that students before her have enjoyed. Traditions are what bind generations of students together and they are an important part of growing up. I'd like my daughter to be able to experience that and I'm saddened that this one senseless act will affect so many people.

    I'm even more saddened to see fans of other schools laughing about the poisoning of the oaks on the Internet today. It's pathetic that supposed adults can't recognize when sports rivalries cross the line of common decency. I hope to see Clemson lose every time they set foot on the field but I would stand side by side with them to protect Howard's Rock from vandals. There was a time when rivals could fight like hell on the field and embrace like brothers when the game was over.

    Thank's for this article and helping me to understand this tradition. I hope it will continue just as strong when my daughter gets to campus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a GA Bulldawg, my heart breaks for Auburn right now. There will always be rivalries between SEC schools, but there should also be a certain level of southern respect along with that. I am truly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't read a post about Toomer's without getting emotional. People that did not go to Auburn or have the Auburn experience will never understand the full magnitude of this event. They might feel bad (or might not), but it truly takes an Auburn family member to understand. It really has nothing to do with rivalry or that it was the place that we celebrated with each other. It was the fact that we (the entire Auburn Family) celebrated and had joyous moments under those trees. Whether it was to celebrate a game, to propose to a girl, to pass under on the way to class, or even to run to Toomer's for some lemonade. (My toomer's story is simple, I was an art major and passed every day under those trees and just being around that corner made me happiest) It's that grandfathers, mothers, sons, and generations knew exactly the same feeling to be under those trees. It is sacred. And I am heartbroken for those you won't get to experience it, and for the trees who gave 130+ years to Auburn. It is true, if anything that what Harvey did, did nothing but strengthen our family bond (which has already been growing this year especially) but our spirit will not fade. War Eagle!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is very disheartening:( My fiance graduated from Auburn, and his brother played football there as well. I loved my first experience of Toomer's Corner when he brought me down to Auburn for the first time. I'll be sad when we go this fall if the trees aren't there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a Georgia alum and life-long Georgia fan, I know how deep traditions like these can run. My heart would break if I were not able to share my Bulldog traditions with my children, or if something like this were to happen to our hedges.

    This was an amazing tribute to the memories you have at Toomer's Corner. Here's to happier days and more memories for you and your Auburn family!

    ReplyDelete