Monday, September 27, 2010

The Cannon Brew Pub

Those of you that know me, know that I like love beer. The search for the perfect beer began when I was first introduced to craft beer by a coworker. Even if it turns out to be terrible, I'll jump at the chance to try a new brew. And whenever I can find/make up an excuse to try a local brew pub, I always do. One of the best excuses is a late dinner (10pm) because someone got into town later than anticipated.

The Cannon Brew Pub fit into our schedule perfectly. It was a short drive to downtown and there is normally plenty of parking in the deck out back. This was only the second trip that I've been able to make but just thinking about it makes me want to go back. The beer, the food, and the atmosphere are always great

They always have their signature brews on tap and normally they'll have a seasonal thrown into the mix. As soon as I have a table, my eyes automatically scan the menu for the coveted sampler and I place my order. Cannon's sampler includes beers of all hues and should have something for everyone. I lean toward wheat beers with a clean finish most of the time and as a result my two picks were the "City Mills Wheat" and the "Goldens' Ale" with the "Red Jacket" coming in at a close third. This isn't to say there was a bad brew on the menu, just that these three fit my tastes the best.

Fortunately, my weekend company reminded me that we were there to eat and after my second beer, we ordered some food. We started with fried pickles to counter the beer I was drinking (didn't work). Since I was in the mood for a non-traditional choice, I chose the Grilled Grouper Tacos for my entree and honestly don't remember what my guest was having (I blame that on the pickles). The tacos proved to be a great choice -- they were seasoned well and can with chips and salsa to give the patron the ability to spice things up a little.


The last thing worth mentioning is something that I place above the food when I rate my brew pubs, the atmosphere. It doesn't get much better than Cannon. Like many of the buildings downtown, The Cannon was built in an old store on Broadway and retained many of the original elements present when they remodeled creating the warehouse feel that makes the visible brewery fit right in. The tables and booths are positioned to give everyone just enough space without feeling cramped or too crowded but are close enough to warm things up. Historical items abound and there are random pieces of history everywhere in the restaurant (even the ceiling). There is a second portion of dining area that is a little more family oriented and they will do their best to put you in the right place to fit your needs.

I'd quickly recommend The Cannon Brew Pub to anyone looking for a local Columbus restaurant/pub. It's one of my favorites and I have a feeling that this will lead to many more trips back.

Beer Score: 7.5 (out of 10)
Atmosphere: 8 (out of 10)
Food: 7 (out of 10)
Local Commitment: 8 (out of 10)
1041 Broadway, Columbus, GA 31901-5256 (706) 653-2337
http://thecannonbrewpub.com/
http://twitter.com/cannonbrewpub

-Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment