Friday, February 18, 2011

Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge

So there I was, driving along with a teal bookcase hanging out the back of my mid-size suv, not having eaten since breakfast and exhausted from a weekend of looking at thousands of antiques when Nic chimes in, "I think that covered bridge is around here somewhere..." Of course, my puzzled answer was, "What bridge??"

"The one on the blog, don't you read the links on the sidebar?" I was caught. Since her iPhone didn't have any service, I pulled up the link on my Blackberry and reset the GPS to take us to the alleged bridge.

So we snaked around some Georgia backroads and found the aptly named "Covered Bridge Road", assuming it would take us to our destination. And we drove down the dirt road...and drove some more... almost to the end and there it was. It was the first covered bridge that I'd seen that was still in service.

I've encountered a couple but never an original bridge that I could drive on. I know there are others out there but this one is still cool because it was the first one that I've been across. And it was fun hearing Nic tell me that it was like something out of a horror movie.


There's a little more info at the GDOT website.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! One of my ex-boyfriends lived down the road from a covered bridge near where we grew up in Ohio. We got caught by the cops making out there one night. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete